The term lipotropic means “fat loving,” and these agents play an important role in how the liver metabolizes fat. Lipotropic injections contain a combination of B vitamins, an amino acid, and other nutrients to help drive the breakdown of fat. Through their involvement in fat metabolism, they can help maintain a healthy liver but may also help with weight loss. Many of our patients find them helpful in promoting weight loss.
What do they do?
• They increase the production of lecithin by the liver, which helps metabolize fats. This helps lower cholesterol in the blood vessels, potentially decreasing gallstone formation.
• They prevent the accumulation of fats in the liver, which can improve liver function.
• They increase natural energy production from B vitamins.
What are some of the important functions of the individual lipotropic agents?
• Choline is a nutrient usually grouped with the B-complex vitamins. It metabolizes fat. Deficiency in choline can lead to liver disease.
• Inositol is a nutrient usually grouped with the B-complex vitamins. Deficiency in inositol can lead to hair loss. Caffeine may cause depletion of inositol.
• Methionine is an amino acid. It acts as a catalyst for choline and inositol. Along with choline, it can aid in reducing liver fat and protect the kidneys.
What are the common side effects of the injections?
• Injection site tenderness, itchiness or bruising
• Upset stomach
For more information, please see our services page detailing what Olivera Weight Management has to offer to you in support of your weight loss goals. Still have questions? Send us a message or call our office at 773-327-6624.